A dental crown is a prosthetic device or cap that is placed over a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and appearance. It is a permanent solution for cracked, broken, or severely decayed teeth. Dental crowns are a great option for restoring teeth to their natural shape, alignment, and function.
Uses of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are used for a variety of reasons. A crown may be needed to:
• Reinforce a tooth that has been weakened by a large filling.
• Cover a dental implant.
• Cover a discolored or misshapen tooth.
• Hold a dental bridge in place.
• Protect a weak tooth from further damage.
• Cover a tooth that has had root canal therapy.
Types of Dental Crowns
There are several types of dental crowns available. The type of crown used will depend on the condition of the tooth being treated and the budget of the patient. The types of crowns include:
• Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns: These are made of metal and are covered with porcelain. They are strong and can last up to 15 years.
• All-porcelain crowns: These are made entirely of porcelain and are usually used for front teeth. They are more esthetic than other types of crowns but are not as strong.
• All-resin crowns: These are made of plastic and are less expensive than porcelain or metal crowns. They are not as strong but can last up to five years.
Preparing for a Dental Crown
Before a crown can be placed, the tooth must be prepared. The dentist will first remove any decay or damaged tissue. The tooth will then be shaped to make room for the crown. An impression of the tooth will be taken and sent to a lab, where the crown will be made.
Placing a Dental Crown
Once the crown is ready, the dentist will place it on the tooth. The crown will be cemented in place and the bite will be checked to make sure it fits properly. The tooth may need to be adjusted to ensure a comfortable fit.
Cost of Dental Crowns
The cost of a dental crown can vary greatly depending on the type of crown used and the dentist performing the procedure. Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are usually the most expensive, while all-resin crowns are the least expensive.
Dental crowns require regular maintenance. It is important to brush and floss regularly to keep the crown clean. The dentist should also be visited at least twice a year for check-ups to make sure the crown is still in good condition.
Dental crowns are a great option for restoring damaged or decayed teeth. They come in a variety of types and materials and can last up to 15 years with proper care and maintenance. It is important to speak to a dentist to determine which type of crown is right for you.